Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Who says you can't go home?

Well, folks, it's time for this blog to get into the news business. After some tough investigative reporting, we here on staff have uncovered a juicy story: Risa is moving to Dallas! That's right, the woman who swore she'd never return to the city of her birth is coming back.

And indeed I am coming back. I am taking status as a "visiting student" at SMU this upcoming academic year, meaning that I will attend school there but receive my diploma from American University. I will continue with my summer living arrangements; that is to say, I will keep squatting at my friend Elisabeth's house. I'm hoping that, eventually, I can claim adverse possession of the place. Maybe of her dog, as well.

It will be strange to be back in Dallas, but at the same time, I expect it will be pleasant. One of the lessons I learned in going to Guinea was that I really depend on the support that my friends and family offer, and that without that resource, everyday life becomes more difficult. I think that living in DC was an exercise in making that same discovery over again. Living in Dallas is just easier for me -- both logistically and emotionally. I'm looking forward to becoming reacquainted with my hometown!

Who says you can't go back
Been all around the world, and as a matter of fact
There's only one place left I want to go
Who says you can't go home
- Bon Jovi & Jennifer Nettles

No comments: