Friday, June 6, 2008

Big D, Little A, Double L, A, S.

I've done it: I'm back in the land of Big Tex and Shiner Bock. I have long sworn that I would never come back to live in Dallas. I am determined not to put what I'm doing this summer into that category. Not that I'm not living, or that I'm not in Dallas; it's more that I'm in Denial. Denial, TX.

The big hair seems tamed, though southern friendliness and dress still pervade many social circles. Fortunately, I can smile up a storm with the best of them -- for about four minutes. Then my carefully cultivated Yankee sarcasm has a habit of kicking in. I tend to operate on the adage: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." Silence is indeed golden.

Family and friends alike have consistently pressured me to return to Texas on a more permanent basis. Inspired by the Obama/McCain contest (sorry, Hillary), I hereby declare the establishment of an exploratory committee. Specifically, my "people" will be examining the possibility of my moving to Texas. More specifically, I am now accepting donations to support these efforts. My consideration of such a move will be directly related to the magnitude of your contributions. Give generously.

You're from Big D, I can guess
By the way you talk and the way you dress
You're from Big D -- my, oh yes
Big D, little A, double L, A, S
-
The Most Happy Fella

1 comment:

Katie said...

Can we pay for you not to live here? Cause I'm all over that...

Just kidding, of course...I know you love us big-haired, friendly Texans. We'd be honored to have you as a permanent resident.